The Production Planner has the responsibility to create, review, amend, and maintain attainable and effective production schedules for assigned products and product families. The production planner is expected to utilize system tools inclusive of material requirements planning and capacity planning to ensure that the supply chain is effective in meeting the needs of our customers while maintaining required delivery and inventory goals. This position is also responsible to support the facility safety, quality and cost objectives. The production planner has a significant impact on customer service and production floor activity and therefore must be a creative thinker with sound decision making ability that acts with the customer in mind.
Key Focus Areas/ Key Skills
- Reviews Oracle MRP and similar applications multiple times weekly per area to assure timely responsiveness to changes in demand (Customer bookings, safety stock builds, and Master Production Scheduled material fulfillment needs) that trigger updated production planning.
- Creates and releases Production Orders in support of above, with keen awareness to needed completion dates, component and capacity availability, and any other resource issues needed to support on-time delivery to internal and external customers.
- Able to research and analyze root causes of late deliveries in support of corrective actions needed to drive delivery improvement. Also able to perform similar actions proactively for future demand.
- Support the ongoing Quality Management by insuring all applicable policies, procedures, and work instructions are in compliance.
- Responsible for regular review of inventory levels in areas of responsibility to minimize inventory while assuring adequate component and finished goods stock to support corporate delivery and financial goals. Take actions needed to avoid slow and excess inventory.
- Maintain appropriate material and vendor master data and other systems as necessary. (Material Masters, Vendor Info Records, Source Lists, Min/Max levels, Min Buy, Lot Size, Lead-Time, etc.)
- Support lean material flow initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience, APICS certification preferred.
- 3-5 years minimum experience in material planning.
- Experience with Lean / Six Sigma / Continuous Improvement teams and activities preferred.
- Basic understanding of Oracle (or similar) MRP based planning systems.
- Demonstrated Material related analytical skills such as setting up a forecast, safety stocks, shortage lists, material assessment reports, etc.
- Abilities to handle multiple competing priorities, such as prioritizing orders running through the same work center due on the same date with capacity constraints.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills at all levels of the organization and maintain confidentiality to people outside the organization.
- Required sense of urgency, and the ability to provide detailed information when needed.