Preparing for a job interview in the energy sector is a stressful endeavor, even for the most talented candidates. The market is extremely competitive, and it’s crucial to practice answering tough questions in ways that will make you stand out from the crowd. However, many job seekers get so caught up in practicing answers to questions, they neglect to prepare thoughtful questions to ask the hiring manager. The questions you ask during an interview are extremely important because they reinforce your interest in the role, provide you with an opportunity to gather more information about the job and the company, and can leave a lasting impression on the hiring manager.
Probing Questions That Impress
The majority of your competitors will ask run-of-the-mill questions like, “Why is this job vacant,” or “Tell me about a typical day.” They will also ask about salary, benefits and perks. While all of these are important questions, they won’t make you stand out from the crowd or provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision about the company. Consider including thoughtful, probing questions like:
- What types of people succeed on this team? This question will provide you with insight into the personality traits and work style of people who succeed in the organization. From there, you can determine whether you might be a match.
- What is the leadership style of the person I would be reporting to? Getting along with your immediate supervisor has a big impact on job satisfaction. This question will help you determine whether you would mesh well with your boss.
- What are the goals for this role for the first three months, six months and one year? This question will tell you whether the company has thought about goals. Clear goals will provide you with a roadmap for success.
- What do you think are the three most positive aspects of the culture here? Cultural alignment is critical for happiness and success.
- In what areas could the culture improve? Most hiring managers will focus on the positives, but no culture is perfect. This question will force the interviewer to be transparent about the culture you’d be joining.
These questions will give you better insight into the role and the organization, and they show the hiring manager you are thinking about what it might be like to work for the company. Thoughtful questions reinforce your interest in the role and demonstrate your ability to go above and beyond the standard questions most candidates ask.
Are You Looking for Job Opportunities in the Energy Sector?
If you are a talented professional looking for job opportunities in the energy sector, it pays to have an expert recruiter on your side. FootBridge Energy Services can connect you with positions that align with your preferences, skills and goals. Browse our current job openings or contact us to start the conversation today.