Working in the energy sector requires a specialized set of skills and knowledge tailored to the job, the company, and the industry. But it also requires strengths in areas that aren’t energy-industry specific. These transferable or “soft” skills enable employees to leverage their technical or “hard’ skills to their fullest, maximizing productivity, motivation, and team cohesion.
During your next round of hiring, seek out candidates who bring these seven essential soft skills to the table:
- Communication. Strong communication skills are a must in the energy industry, where teamwork and clear, precise instructions are a daily job requirement. Candidates who can explain technical subjects clearly to non-tech audiences are particularly prized.
- Flexibility. The energy industry changes quickly. The best employees for long-term growth are those who can change and adapt as the industry does, or even predict which shifts are on the horizon.
- Problem Solving. All energy industry employees need solid problem-solving skills. Related skills like decision making and prioritizing help potential management candidates stand out from the crowd. Ask candidates how they’ve addressed work problems in the past, or give them a sample problem to evaluate.
- Teamwork. Few engineering, process, or other problems are solved by an individual. Teamwork, including the ability to juggle different perspectives and to seek help when needed, is essential.
- Dedication. A strong work ethic indicates the ability to self-motivate and the willingness to give one’s best every day – both of which are essential traits in any top candidate. In the energy sector, these traits may translate to increased innovation or vision, helping the company as a whole to move forward.
- Time Management. The fast pace of the energy industry requires workers at all levels to be able to juggle multiple projects at once and to prioritize their time for maximum results. Incorporate interview questions that examine candidates’ time-management skills.
- Enthusiasm. A passion for the energy industry is a must for top candidates, particularly for potential “rising stars.”
At Footbridge Energy Services, our recruiters pursue the best “fit” between candidates’ skills and our clients’ needs. Contact us today to learn more about our energy recruitment solutions.