Job Title: Sr Safety Specialist
Company: Dominion Energy Services
Location: Various sites across US
Duration: Multiple years
Pay Range: $40-46/hr – 1.5X OT ($15.50/hr at max)
Per Diem: GSA Max for location
Work Schedule: 40 hours per week…OT as needed
Target start date / availability: ASAP,
High Level Project Overview:
This role works as a resource that will travel between several concurrent Project Construction (PC) Renewable Projects .Our Renewable Natural Gas portfolio is taking the waste lagoons from cattle and swine farms and installing methane capture and treatment facilities to reduce methane emissions. This role must be familiar with OSHA 1926 regulations, will have to get familiar with multiple companies’ policies and procedures that are responsible for Engineering, Procurement, and Construction of our Renewable Natural Gas Projects. This position reports to the Manager of Safety but is matrixed to the site managers, and director as deemed appropriate by the Manager of Safety.
Position will require travel within the United States up to 75% of the time, some current locations are Virginia, Idaho, Texas, Nevada, and Colorado, future projects can be anywhere in the US. This position can work from home when typing up safety assessments and attending teams’ meetings. May also fill in for ash projects, solar, battery, offshore wind, or other needs as necessary.
- A current OSHA 500 Construction Outreach designation and five years of experience as the lead safety professional.
- CHST/CSP or CUSP designation & five years construction safety experience as the lead professional.
- Experience serving in a safety leadership role, preferably owners rep.
- Have 1-3 years of experience in renewables or wastewater treatment (Wind, Solar, Wastewater, etc.).
- Bachelors or master’s in safety from an ABET accredited institution or a closely related field with two years of being the lead safety professional on construction projects.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Sets the standard so that the renewables team and contractors working with Project Construction Renewables sees safety as an imperative which cannot be sacrificed.
- Monitor safety programs to determine their adequacy including review of short- and long-term strategic safety planning and development
- Interfaces in the field with field craft and supervision to communicate, coach and assist the staff to ensure that all safety expectations are understood and met
- Regularly assist with auditing Contractor HSE Management Plan for compliance to ensure the alignment with project scope and conditions
- Identify best practices and continuous improvement initiatives and make these recommendations to the General Contractors to reduce work process risks, raise safety awareness, and improve safe work practices
- Become familiar with General Contractor and subcontractors’ rules and make sure our Dominion Site Manager’s are familiar with these requirements
- Assist in attending staff meetings, conference calls and report out on safety incidents, trends and contractor safety performance as needed to support existing project safety staff.
- Assist in addressing operations concerns and design issues by creating punch list items during start-up/commissioningMeet with contractor safety staff to discuss safety deficiencies, findings, incidents
- When needed participate in the investigation of incidents to determine root cause, and corrective actions
- Ensure Employees & contractors comply with the rules and processes, all OSHA regulations, and all other state/federal regulations
- Perform safety administrative audits, safety assessments, and inspect facilities, machinery, and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance
- For Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health items –stop the activity immediately and call the contractors safety team to take care of the issue in the manner prescribed contractually
- For other compliance issues prioritize – get the contractors safety team and have them correct the issue. If the issue cannot be rectified immediately have the contractor’s safety team set a date to have the non-compliance item rectified and who is responsible for abating the issue. If that issue isn’t corrected in the prescribed time elevate the issue to the Project Manager
- Attend Pre-Job Briefs (employee and contractor) to audit for quality as needed
- Provide support to the project by maintaining a visible presence to the field performing site visits
- Maintain professional relationship with Project Construction Renewables & contractor safety team
- Serve as a mentor with Contractor safety professionals while in the field
- Perform site walks with Renewable asset managers & contractor safety professionals to build relationships and identify hazards