Social media channels have changed the way people communicate with one another, build professional networks, and keep in touch. Companies that skip social media entirely when looking for new talent do so at their peril – in every field, top performers connect with one another and share new ideas via social media, whether they live in the same city or are separated by a continent.
How can you use social media to land the right employees? Consider these tips:
- Fit the message to the site. Every social media site works differently, and each sports a different “personality” as a result. Twitter, with its 140-character limit, is ideal for sharing short messages and links to blogs, articles, or job postings. Facebook’s multimedia platform makes it easy to share photos and video along with text and links. And LinkedIn, the social media site specifically for business professionals, makes it easy to create newsletter-style content that can be shared with your industry or field in just a few clicks. Since not all sites are created equally, content should be tailored to each for the best results.
- Build your company’s brand across several sites. Some of the most talented potential employees aren’t actively looking for jobs, but a social media posting that displays a company whose culture fits their work style will intrigue them and may lead to a decision to apply. Reach out to these “passive” job seekers and develop a cultural image that helps candidates self-select for success in your organization by using several platforms to build a brand image consistent with your internal culture.
- Target your audience and check associations. Facebook is a great place to find new college graduates. Established professionals tend to focus on LinkedIn; and Twitter is the preferred social media platform for academics and tech gurus. Choose the right platform for your audience, and don’t hesitate to check back through a candidate’s profiles for associations and links to other professionals and organizations.
How Can Job Seekers Use Social Media to Their Advantage?
The communicative power of social media makes it easy for job seekers to learn more about companies by connecting on social media and to enhance their own presence in the industry. Here’s how:
- Clean up your profiles. Make sure your social media profiles present a clean, professional image. Use privacy settings to control which audiences see which content.
- Learn more about companies. Potential employers with a social media presence offer a wealth of information about their organizations, their current projects, and their employees. Use these tools to learn all you can before sending a cover letter or stepping into an interview.
- Connect with fellow professionals. Connect with other professionals in the energy industry and with people who work in your field to strengthen your professional network, learn new things, and increase your value in the eyes of employers looking for talent with deep connections.
At FootBridge Energy Services, our experienced recruiters specialize in placing top talent in the energy industry. Contact us today to learn more about our recruiting services in the oil and gas industry!