The energy sector is one of the more volatile job sectors in the United States when it comes to hiring. As 2017 progresses, hiring in the energy sector is down, which means more candidates are vying for fewer jobs.
A tight hiring environment doesn’t mean you’re out of luck, however. Great jobs in the energy industry are still available. Here’s how to focus your job search so you find the best positions out there and position yourself to receive a job offer.
- Network effectively. Handing out fifty business cards may feel like productive networking, but in fact, the best job leads come from the people you already know personally. Schedule one day a week to meet with a member of your personal or professional network for coffee, lunch or a walk. Talk to them about the kind of job you’re looking for.
- Know what you’re worth. When hiring gets competitive, wages do as well. Do some research on websites like Salary.com or Glassdoor.com, or talk to your recruiter. When you know what a competitive compensation package looks like, you’re in a better position to describe and stand for what you are worth.
- Go mobile. More and more companies are posting job openings to social media, discussing their biggest challenges online and creating mobile-friendly application platforms you can access anywhere. Put your device to work finding you a job you’ll love – anywhere you go.
- Focus on your accomplishments. Many job seekers repeat the duties and credentials listed in the job posting, but don’t say much else in their applications. Go one step further by describing how you used those tasks, skills and capabilities to solve a problem successfully.
- What’s in it for the employer? Spend some time reading the employer’s website, press releases and other materials to determine why the employer is seeking people with your abilities. Then, use your application to answer the biggest question every employer has: “How does hiring this person help us?”
- Work with a recruiter. Recruiters specialize in matching candidates to jobs that offer a good fit for their personality, work style, abilities and job goals – even in a tough market. Your recruiter can become your biggest ally on the job search.
At FootBridge Energy Services, our recruiters specialize in connecting qualified job seekers to jobs in the oil and gas industries – no matter what the hiring forecast looks like. Contact us today to learn more about our energy employment opportunities.